Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Spinner of Secrets Update One




This is the working cover for Spinner of Secrets. 

For those of you who don't know, Spinner of Secrets is the Rumpelstiltskin short story I wrote for a writing prompt last May that quickly snowballed into a novella. I'm now on the seventh draft of editing, which is the furthest I have ever gotten with a story that's more than 3,000 words long. Here's my Facebook update from a few days ago:


I have been struggling with the name for my main character ever since I spoke with a friend in October and she said that I probably shouldn't use the name Lacey, because there's a Rumpelstiltskin retelling with that name already. Oh, great! What else am I supposed to do? That's her name!

Well, I went with Aleya because I couldn't come up with anything better at the time, but I wasn't happy with it at all. I was complaining about it to another friend and she suggested looking it up in a foreign language. Well I tried that and all I was able to find (and my search skills might be lacking, but whatever) was that Lacey is Lacey, is Lacey. It's just Lacey any which way.

So I was complaining about that to a third friend (this is what my friends have to deal with, be warned) and she suggested looking up the adjective lace or lacy. I found that lace in Italian is merlettato, and I thought about Merlette or something like that, but Letta jumped out and caught my eye. I went and looked up Letta, and found that the name means 'truth' or 'truthful one'. 

Man, did I like that! It's perfect! The name itself is a simple, common sounding name, which is what I wanted because this girl is not elegant, is not refined, is not any fancy or particularly special. And she gets tangled up in a lie that threatens her life and happiness, and it's worse for her because she is a truthful girl by nature, and... Yeah. It was just grand. 

So, as of 9:21 am on June 7th, I am at 17,274 words. 



Copyright 2016 by Annie Louise Twitchell
Image and design copyright 2016 by Annie Louise Twitchell